What you need to know to
get your CAPM® certification.
What is CAPM certification?
It empowers professionals like you with the knowledge to work effectively with teams on any project in any industry.
What skills does the CAPM cover?
The CAPM certification demonstrates the knowledge and competency of project management fundamentals including:
Project Management Fundamentals
An understanding of core principles.
- Project lifecycle
- Project management environment
- Role of the project manager
Agile & Predictive Approaches
The knowledge and understanding of predictive (plan-based), adaptive (agile) and hybrid approaches and how and when to apply them to projects.
Business Analysis Frameworks
The knowledge of concepts including:
- How to gather and validate requirements
- The role and responsibility of the BA
- How to conduct stakeholder communications
CAPM certification exam details
The CAPM certification tests your knowledge of project management fundamentals, the application of agile and predictive approaches and business analysis core concepts. The timed test lasts 3 hours. Specific details include:
The computer-based exam is 150 multiple-choice knowledge-based questions.
- Multiple-choice questions including animation video and comic strip
- “Hot area” graph-based
- Limited fill-in-the-blank
Take the Exam
The CAPM is overseen by a proctor, which means you will be timed and observed during the exam.
Visit the PMI website to find a PMI-approved testing center or schedule an online proctored exam.
Why Get Certified
The CAPM certification distinguishes your knowledge and competency across project management including business analysis and agile principles. Other benefits include:
- Enhanced skillset and job opportunities
- Basis for better salary and benefits
- Global recognition of PM fundamentals proficiency
- Deliver organizational benefits and value
Free 2023 CAPM Webinar
Learn about top CAPM certification questions in our free webinar.
- Is the CAPM certification right for me?
- The 2023 CAPM Examination Content Outline explained
- The latest information on exam questions
- How to prepare for the new CAPM exam
- Information on test options
How to prepare for your
1. Confirm your eligibility
To apply for the CAPM certification, you must meet these criteria. You don’t need professional experience to take the CAPM exam.
- A two-year degree, a high school diploma or GED
- 23 hours of project management education. Meet this requirement by taking an CAPM online instructor-led class.
3. Gather your information
- High school diploma or GED
- Certificate(s) for 23 contact hours in project management training
4. Apply and register for the exam
Create an account on the PMI website or through the PMI app. You’ll need an account to apply. Have copies of your training and educational information.
- Complete the application
- Wait for approval
- Pay for the exam
- Schedule your date and select your testing environment